Chromebook Use Policies
As a learner, I agree that I will:
- use my assigned Chromebook for educational purposes only;
- follow the procedures and policies outlined in the St. Mary’s School Acceptable Use Policy at school;
- protect my assigned Chromebook by carrying it securely and safely;
- never leave my assigned Chromebook unattended in an unsecure or unsupervised location;
- charge my assigned Chromebook’s battery to full capacity each night;
- report all damages to or issues with my assigned Chromebook to the school personnel;
- never alter or attempt to change the management setting on my Chromebook;
- and never share my assigned Chromebook with other students or in
I understand that any violation of this agreement may result in the suspension or loss of my Chromebook and school network privileges.
I understand that my family’s responsibilities include:
- ensuring my child meets the expectations outlined in the St. Mary’s School Acceptable Use Policy;
- protecting my student’s assigned Chromebook, within reason, against damage, loss or theft while it is at home or outside of school.; and ensuring my child reports damage to the school personnel.
In consideration of the privileges and opportunities afforded by the use of St. Mary’s technology resources, I hereby release St. Mary’s School and its employees from any and all claims of any nature arising from my child’s use or inability to use these resources, including but not limited to claims that may arise from unauthorized use of a Chromebook.
I also understand that it is impossible for St. Mary’s School to restrict access to all controversial materials and I will not hold the school responsible for materials accessed with a Chromebook.
I accept full responsibility for my student’s use of his/her assigned Chromebook while not in a school setting and understand that my student’s Chromebook use is subject to the same rules and requirements when used off-campus. I understand that my student’s Chromebook privileges may be suspended or revoked for violation of this agreement.
St. Mary’s School will provide coverage for one Chromebook repair in the event of accidental damage.
- The service plan does NOT provide coverage for the loss of a Chromebook and/or its accessories, cosmetic damage, or damages caused by intentional misuse and abuse.
Replacement of Chromebook is at the discretion of the principal. Students will be responsible for the full cost of replacement ($250.00) if it is determined that damage has been caused by intentional abuse and/or misuse.
Claim history on damage will ultimately determine whether additional fees are necessary beyond the original $25 fee.
Should damage occur to the Chromebook assigned to a student due to intentional damage, the family will be solely responsible for reimbursing the school for repair or replacement costs.
Students who do not purchase the service plan and have caused damage from intentional abuse and/or misuse will be charged for the repair.
This service plan is available for student purchased or school purchased Chromebooks.
CHROMEBOOK USE (AT SCHOOL)
The Chromebook is intended for use at school each and every day. In addition to teacher expectations for Chromebook use, students may be asked to access school messages, announcements, calendars, handbooks, and grades using their Chromebooks. Students are responsible for bringing their Chromebooks to all classes, unless specifically advised not to do so by their teacher. While in class, students are expected to comply with all school rules, policies, and teacher directives when using their Chromebooks.
If a student leaves the Chromebook at home, he/she is responsible for getting the coursework completed as if the Chromebook were present. Loaner Chromebooks may not be issued to students who forget to bring their Chromebooks to school. Other school technology may be available for student use.
CHROMEBOOK USE (AT HOME)
Students are encouraged to use their Family Purchased Chromebooks at home and other locations outside of school. A Wi-Fi Internet connection will be required for the majority of Chromebook use. However, some applications can be used while not connected to the Internet. Students are bound by the St. Mary’s School Acceptable Use Policy and all Chromebook policies regardless of where they use their Chromebooks and regardless of the source of the Internet connection.
Each student in grades 4-6 will be provided with their own St. Mary’s School Google Account. Student accounts are managed by the principal who has full access to the account. Student Google Accounts should be used for schoolwork and communications. Students should share their passwords with their parents. Parents may request a password change at anytime.
Personalization: Student may not personalize the outside of their Chromebooks, even family purchased ones.
- No food or drink should be placed next to the Chromebook.
- Cords, cables, and removable storage devices must be inserted carefully into the Chromebook.
- Heavy objects should never be placed on top of the Chromebook.
- The Chromebook should never be exposed to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight for extended periods of time.
- The Chromebook should never be carried with the screen open.
- Students should never disassemble their Chromebook and attempt their own repairs
Charging: Chromebooks should be charged each night whether on the school Chromecart or at home.
Storage: School Chomebooks must be stored in the classroom each night, family-purchased Chromebooks can be stored in the classroom or brought home each night.