Grade 6 – Mr. Ferriero
|Week of January 27||Monday||Tuesday||Wednesday||Thursday||Friday|
Some students may have homework done before the end of the school day.
Join our Classroom Photo Gallery at https://gethomeroom.com/i/P3R9JBAF
Test, Quizzes, Projects …
- none at this time
What We Are Learning…
In math we are currently learning about algebra and number theory.
- learn how to use the Order of Operations to simplify numerical expressions
- learn to write, simplify, and evaluate expressions involving exponents
- analyze algebraic expressions and draw diagrams to represent their structure
- learn to analyze and evaluate algebraic expressions
- write expressions for areas of complex figures and surface areas of prisms
Order of Operations
- 22.214.171.124 Apply the associative, commutative and distributive properties and order of operations to generate equivalent expressions and to solve problems involving positive rational numbers.
We are currently in our Gary Paulson Author Study.
We have finished reading our Mentor Text Hatchet. We are excited to read Brian's Winter later on in the unit to see what happens with Brian after Hatchet.
We are currently working in literature circles where students have been assigned one of these books:
- Dogsong - Jack, Ely, Jacob, Allie, Nora
- Tracker - Max, Jonah, Lincoln, Clare, Anne Marie, Joshua
- 126.96.36.199 Describe how a particular story’s or drama’s plot unfolds in a series of episodes as well as how the characters respond or change as the plot moves toward a resolution.
Our next unit is a nonfiction unit where we will focus on Biographies and Women's Study. Read Mr. Ferriero's introduction note about that unit - click here.
We are currently starting our unit on weather!
- air pressure
- convection cell
- Coriolis effect
- land breeze
- ocean current
- sea breeze
6E.188.8.131.52 Collect data and use digital data analysis tools to identify patterns to provide evidence for how the motions and complex interactions of air masses result in changes in weather
6E.184.108.40.206 Analyze and interpret data on natural hazards to forecast future catastrophic events and inform the development of technologies to mitigate their effects.
Due to Catholic Schools Week we are not starting our next unit. We will focus this week on studying the geography of the continents of the world.
Current Topic: God's Saving Actions (chapter 5)
- To identify the early life of Moses as an example of God’s saving power
- To practice good moral habits
- To learn the meaning of the Passover and the Eucharist
- Last Supper
We are now working on descriptive writing. In this unit the students will learn to describe a person, place or thing in such a way that a picture is formed in the reader's mind. Descriptive writing will improve students writing by making it more interesting and engaging to read.
We have been learning about the 4-Square Writing Method right now. Feel free to see Mr. Ferriero's lesson - CLICK HERE.