St. Mary’s School
State of The School
School Year 2017-18
Prepared by: Joseph Ferriero, M.Ed., Principal on August 15, 2017
Theme: ‘Seas’ The Day!
PreK – 16
Kindergarten – 16
1st Grade – 13
2nd Grade – 14
3rd Grade – 10
4th Grade – 15
5th Grade – 15
6th Grade – 9
Total: 108 Students + 2 Music Only = 110
Pre-K: Mrs. Nonnemacher resigned and was replaced with Miss Geis.
Amanda Geis: A 2017 Early Childhood Education graduate from Minnesota State University – Moorhead, Ms. Geis comes to us with experience in both Pre-School classrooms and elementary classrooms.
Grade 5: Mrs. Weick will be on maternity leave until the end of October. Mrs. Spaulding will return to cover while she is out.
This year’s budget was set at -$10,000.83, however we had a donation come in over the summer for $10,000 and we are back at a balanced budget. The change in budget is due to staff salary increases. Our goal has always been 70% of the public school salary. We were able to reach 70% this year.
- High Academic Achievement
- Strong Family Engagement
- Open Communication with Staff & Families
- Transparency – website, Facebook, Remind messages
- Narrow the achievement gap
- differentiated instruction
- New mathematics curriculum
- New spelling program (Words Their Way) in upper elementary
- Pilot new Flexible Classroom (open seating) in grade 4
- Promote Positive Interactions (continued from 2016-17)
- Continue with – Be Kind, Be Safe, Be Responsible, Be St. Mary’s – program
- ‘Sea’s’ The Day Program
- Standards Based Instruction (continued from 2016-17)
- Teachers will work to ‘unwrap’ the ELA (english language arts) standards this year along with other teachers in the diocese.
We are expanding our one-to-one Chromebook device to our 2nd graders. All students in grades 2-6 will have a Chromebook that they can use throughout the day.