The St. Mary’s Begin Program is open to students who are at least 3.5 years old as of September 1. The program is designed to introduce young children to the structure and rhythm of the classroom.
The Begin Program @ St. Mary’s School offers a comprehensive preschool curriculum utilizing the best in age-appropriate children’s literature and activities. The Begin Program offers a multi-sensory, integrated learning approach to education that provides a solid foundation of academic readiness skills.
BEGIN with us.
We foster the cognitive and social development of each child through fun activities that are lovingly guided by highly trained teachers. We integrate enrichment programs into each day to foster your child’s self-esteem and set the foundation for a well-rounded, healthy lifestyle.
We integrate our faith programs into each day to foster your child’s self-esteem and set the foundation for a well-rounded, healthy lifestyle. We collaborate with parents in the process of raising your child aligned with your vision.
Social & Academic Success
It’s that simple. At St. Mary’s School we strive to ensure that every student is successful both socially and academically. The Begin Program provides the perfect environment for your child’s social, academic, and spiritual development. Our student-centered program provides a well-rounded experience and ensures that our children become confident, joyful and fully prepared students.
The Begin Program will:
- Offer a wide range of activities that meet the individual needs of each of our students
- Focus on building each child’s emotional, social, cognitive, physical and spiritual skills
- Offer multi-cultural and developmentally appropriate materials and equipment
- Support the professional development of teachers through early childhood education training
- Offer open communication with families in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect
Our school is led by an administrative team who works to make sure every family has a wonderful experience. Our teachers receive ongoing professional development. This ensures that children are known and appreciated for their individual gifts and personalities.
Your Child WILL Learn.
Our daily classroom schedule will include music and movement, math, literacy, social emotional, self expression, gross motor play, and phonics work. Children will learn in small-group centers and also received individualized teaching. As children moved through the daily activities, they will be guided to understand the importance of transitions, from center to center, from classroom to another location, and received instructions from the building principal on hallway and cafeteria etiquette.
The BEGIN Program uses The Complete Daily Curriculum for Early Childhood. The Complete Daily Curriculum for Early Childhood is designed to help teachers weave the many elements of a comprehensive curriculum together with lessons and activities that:
• Include suggestions that encompass all learning style preferences,
• Offer learning center suggestions to enhance each of the eight multiple intelligences !high ability levels),
• Encompass all aspects of the developmental domains
• Cover all subject areas, and
• Are thematically based to appeal to the interests of the children
The Begin Program curriculum is built upon a “School Readiness” framework. The skills are broken down into the following categories:
- Social Readiness
- Number Readiness
- Colors & Shapes
- Life Skills
- Motor Skills (Large & Fine)
- Reading Readiness
- Writing Readiness
- Music & Art
- Heath & Safety
- Recognizes first name
- Looks at books
- Can turn pages of a book
- Knows words not pictures are read
- Names objects in books
- Knows some rhymes and poems
- Talks about what happens during the day
- Knows age
- Knows numbers 1-5 by sight
- Understands that numbers mean quantity (I want 2 toys)
- Counts out loud to 10
- Counts groups of objects from 1 through 5
- Knows bigger and smaller
- Can put things in order from small to big and big to small
- Knows same and different
- Able to group items that are the same
- Understand opposites: hot/cold fast/slow in/out
- Can follow the leader and walk, run, hop, jump, march
- Jumps on two feet
- Can balance on one foot to a count of 5
- Kicks large ball
- Catches big ball with two hands
- Draws and colors beyond scribbling
- Cuts with scissors
- Can zip, button, and snap
- Completes simple puzzles
- Can mold or shape dough or clay
- Can be away from parents without being upset
- Listens to, remembers, and follows one and two step directions
- Can stay on task
- Shares with others
- Knows that adults have authority
- Maintains self-control
- Draws pictures and tells stories about pictures
- Marches and moves to music
- Can recite rhymes and sing songs
- Holds crayons or markers like a pencil.
- Familiar with letters/numbers
- Knows basic shapes
- Knows basic colors
- Knows first and last name
- Knows basic manners
- Has respect for objects and people
- Shows concerns for others
- Can talk about his/her feelings
- Understands rules, limits and routines
- Can share and take turns
- Knows basic health skills: how to use a tissue, toilet needs, washes/dries hands, etc.
Lunch in our school cafeteria from 12:00-12:30pm. Students may bring their own sack lunch or purchase school hot lunch. Our monthly menu can be found online – click here. The cost of lunch is $2.75 per day.
The program runs Monday-Friday from 8:15am-3:05pm. We offer an after-school program until 5:45pm each day.
This program has a maximum amount of students, so all of those interested are encouraged to enroll as soon as possible.
Tuition Rates for 2020-21 School Year are:
Per Month (9)