Reading Curriculum Update 2018-19
St. Mary’s School has a strong commitment to our students – all students will become proficient readers and become effective learners and communicators. St. Mary’s will equip our students with the communication skills, strategies, habits, and attitudes needed to be successful in their careers and daily lives.
The St. Mary’s Reading program must be concerned with both content and process–with what students learn and how they learn. Literacy is the ability to think, to acquire knowledge for reasoning and communicating, and to use available resources to achieve these purposes.
- Students need opportunities to have a choice from among a variety of reading texts, styles, genres, and formats. To engage fully in their own reading endeavors, students must be able to make decisions based on their individual skill levels, interests, and preferences.
- Students need direct, explicit instruction and consistent ongoing feedback from their teachers to learn how to read, listen, speak, and think critically.
- The strengths and needs of every student must be addressed.
- Provide strong foundational skills and strategies for continued learning and be responsive to prior knowledge, intellectual strengths, and personal interests.
Teachers will attempt to achieve these goals using the following methods:
- Differentiated tasks
- The application of technology
- Flexible grouping practices providing for individual, small group, and whole class instruction
- A diversity of evaluative/assessment tools and strategies that provide multiple indicators of the quality of every child’s learning and of overall program effectiveness
- The development of content through process
- ongoing commitment to professional development designed to increase teacher skills and knowledge of effective instructional practices as defined by the State of Minnesota
Teacher Training and Development
Roll out new written curriculum in each grade (K-6)
Develop and assess curriculum
Full implementation of new curriculum
|Resource/Material||Kinder||Grade 1||Grade 2||Grade 3||Grade 4||Grade 5||Grade 6|
|Super Kids Program||✔||✔||✔|
|Macmillan/McGraw-Hill Treasures (phase out)||✔|
|Novel Units (teacher developed with outside support)||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Author Study (teacher developed with outside support)||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Close Reading of Complex Texts||✔|
Full curriculum documents will be posted on this page as they are fully developed.